Lamsdorf, now known as LŁinowowice, a small town in Poland, was once a place for one of the largest POW camps in Germany for Allied soldiers.
The camp was first opened in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-1871, and was also a POW camp during the First World War.
In 1939, the camp housed Polish prisoners, and from 1940 until it was evacuated in January 1945, there were more than 100,000 prisoners from Britain and the former Soviet Union, including the Jewish volunteers who had been captured by the Germans, the Soviet Union, Poland and various European countries occupied by the Germans. In 1943, many prisoners were transferred from Lamsdorf to other camps, and their number changed from VIIIB to 344.